Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Weighty New Year's Resolution

It's that time of year to reflect on the past year and decide how to improve the coming year.  2011 has been a busy year in my garden.

I went from my garden looking like this in 2010:


To this in 2011:


You can read about the transformation here.  2011 was a good and productive year in the garden.  Productive for building and structures, but for actual veggies and harvest the truth is I do not know.  There was a ton of cucumbers and not a lot of peppers.  This lack of data has led me to make my 2012 garden resolution: WEIGH HARVESTS.  In comparison to building retaining walls, trellises, and raised beds, this should be a manageable resolution.  Currently I have a simple little scale:


However, I would like a digital scale, especially for weighing light crops like lettuce.   I have my eye on this Ozeri scale.  Not expensive, and would make my resolution more accurate.



I would also love to have a hanging produce scale like this Detecto one:

 

However, it is a bit more expensive.  It'll have to go on my garden wish list for the time being.  Hopefully by this time next year, I will be able to tell you how many pounds of veggies I harvested!  

Do you have any resolutions for your garden this year?

1 comment:

  1. Good to know that you have these amazing goals for your garden. I also want to increase the produce of my garden this year with special focus on veggies.

    ReplyDelete