Saturday, July 28, 2012

Corn Crop Failure

I guess I should have taken the hint when the cutworms took down every one of my corn seedlings in the spring, but I persisted and replanted with cutworm collars.



The corn patch was uneventful until mid July when the ears began to form and then the squirrels arrived.  This is my third year growing a garden here and I've never had the squirrels problems I've had this year.  I'm afraid they have officially discovered my garden and have permanently moved in.  Note the gap in the corn bed.  There were corn stalks there, but the squirrels have toppled them and I even caught a squirrel running away with the entire corn stalk!


This is what the corn looks like now:


My total corn harvest stands at zero.. sigh.  I planted a second patch of corn, so perhaps I can beat the squirrels to a few ears in the fall.  In the meantime, I am dreaming of a squirrel proof garden like this image I found here.

9 comments:

  1. So sorry about your corn. One year I lost my crop to earwigs. They ate all the silks off the corn so they couldn't get pollinated. Every year it is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squirrels are evil monsters!!! I just hate them! I love that garden cage room. Where in the world did you find that picture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squirrels suck. They ravage my tomatoes. I was thinking of trying corn next year but this post has made me think twice! So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, really annoying thing to happen. Love the house in the photo - I'll take it too along with the great veggie patch please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always had fond memories of a squirrel (long, long ago) that would eat peanuts out of our hand and didn't ruin everything. I felt jilted that they have moved on to other areas. Now, with a lot of stories this year like yours of the death, destruction, desolation, and despair they cause; I am glad they aren't here.
    ...you could try the robison crusoe method of hanging corpses around the garden. It worked on the birds that kept eating his grapes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have lots of squirrels but I guess I don't grow anything they want or they are too dumb to check it out. My problem critters are deer (thus the fence around the garden) raccoons, ground hogs, and rabbits. So far only the very young rabbits have gotten into the garden but as they grow they are too big to fit through the wire holes.

    Sorry to hear of your problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're interested, here's my squirrel exclosure: http://colinpurrington.com/2014/squirrel-proof-garden/.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I win the lottery . . .

    ReplyDelete