I decided to use vinyl tiles (without the adhesive on the back) so that they would be water proof without any extra steps. The ones I got were $0.73 each.
I then made the measurements:
- 4 plants per square
- 9 plants per square
- 16 plants per square
Next is the drilling. You need core drill bits that make circles. Jeff had a 2" one and a 3 1/2" one, so that's the sizes I used. I used the 2" core bit for the 16 and 9 plant templates and the 3 1/2" one for the 4 plant template.
This is what it looks like when Jeff drilled:
This is what happened when I tried:
Good thing the tiles are cheap! I learned that it is important to have the tile secure so it doesn't start spinning and a slight rocking motion helps to prevent from breaking the tile.
When I had to get a replacement tile I went ahead and got two, just in case. I ended up using the spare tile making a one plant template. Here's the complete collection:
I've already tried them out planting radish and spinach and it makes planting easy and fast. No more guessing for plant spacing!