Thursday, December 8, 2011

Winter Strawberries

Strawberries in December- that just doesn't seem right!  Do I have super duper cold hardy mutant strawberries?  Or maybe they have the perfect microclimate in their raised bed, which is tiered and perhaps it keeps the cold wind and frost off their leaves?  I was contemplating all kinds of theories and then on the local news is a story about winter strawberries:

Strawberries growing almost year round in York County

This is the same county I live in, so I guess my strawberries aren't so special after all!  I didn't drive my strawberries to the mountains to acclimate them to the cold- maybe I should let them know that wasn't necessary.  Although it does look like their strawberries were a bit more productive than mine.  It's very exciting to know that I can have strawberries in winter.  Now if only we can convince the peppers and tomatoes to do the same!

1 comment:

  1. Driving to the mountains sounds like a lot of work for strawberries. I usually drive to Safeway. They do look delicious. We had an odd spring/summer, so most our strawberries took a year off. Alas, we'll try again next year (and try not to be too envious of those with a greener thumb.)

    ReplyDelete