Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thursday Kitchen Cupboard... Tromboncino Squash

This week's post isn't really a recipe- it is a taste test.  This is my first season growing tromboncino squash in an attempt to outsmart the vine borers.  Tromboncino squash can be picked young and used as a summer squash or you can let it grow big and use as a winter squash. 

It has a long skinny neck and a bulb shaped base.  Only the bulb end has seeds.


Here's what it looks like on the inside:


I sauteed it in some butter:


The texture is a bit thicker and meatier than zucchini, so it took a bit longer to get tender.  I then just sprinkled it with salt and pepper.


The taste test: it tastes like zucchini to me!  I've read that it is suppose to have a nuttier taste, but I didn't notice.  J also approved of the tromboncino squash and was in agreement that it tasted like zucchini.  I'm excited to finally have a summer squash despite the vine borers!

That's what has been cooking in my kitchen.  If you want to peak into other kitchens and see what others are cooking, head over to Thursday’s Kitchen Cupboard at the Gardener of Eden.

8 comments:

  1. My husband's family calls it Italian Zucchini. I grew it one year. They can get huge! I made mine into Capanota and canned it. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I'll have to keep my eye out for it. We have borer problems too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking about growing that one The borers are so bad here when they hit. The only problem is I'm certain they would grow better on a trellis, but I suppose one more trellis wouldn't be bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have mine on a trellis. I've read that the vines can get massive- guess I will find out. They don't have the sunniest spot in the garden, so I'm hoping the trellis will help them climb to get more sun.

      Delete
  4. The Trombocino seems to be THE squash of the moment. I'd never heard of them until a year or two ago but everyone in Australia seemed to be growing them this past summer (except me) - perhaps i should join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the cool gardeners are growing it ;) Although you don't have vine borers, so you have many more squash options.

      Delete
  5. I've been thinking about growing this guy, too...maybe next year! Will you grow some as winter squash, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was growing an acorn squash - sweet mama hybrid - as my winter squash, but the borers have killed most of the plants. I just planted some butternut seeds. I'm hoping it's not too late to start them.

      Delete