Monday, December 12, 2011

Harvest Monday

Not much harvest to report this week.  I pulled a couple of turnips to cook and mash with some stored potatoes to go with meatloaf (and lentil loaf for me, the vegetarian). 


There's more to harvest in the garden, but I just don't have time this week to cook. This is a nice thing about fall/ winter gardening- there is no hurry.  My lettuce, broccoli, radishes, and cabbage that could be harvested today will not bolt if I leave them for another day.  I'm enjoying the slow pace of cold weather gardening.  I don't get overwhelmed by produce that needs to be picked and put away now.  It's not a race to harvest before bolting or before veggies grow to overripe sizes.  Slow and steady is more my speed!

To see what others are harvesting check out Harvest Monday at Daphne's Dandelions.

2 comments:

  1. I love winter gardening too; especially since I get a lot more food per gallon of water paid for than in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the reverse problem - I arrived home from holiday to find the broccoli, chard, many lettuces, the mustard and some celery had all bolted. Ah well at least the tomatoes are ripening...

    ReplyDelete