Sunday, December 4, 2011

Revisiting November Goals and Photos

Another month has flown by and its time to reflect on how it went...

  • Clean up garden: I pulled up the eggplants, peppers, and cleaned up the herb garden, still plenty of winter annual weeds that need pulling.
  • Add manure to beds as they are cleaned up.  I thought my fall crops would be done by now, so I still have seven beds that haven't received their fall manure. 
  • Mulch:  I've mulched a few beds and the cover crops don't really leave room for mulch, but this will carry over to next month.
  • Plant the winter garden: The winter garden was planted and almost everything germinated- spinach, mache, mesclun mix, carrots, beets, radish, swiss chard, pak choi, turnips and one celery.  However, everything is growing very, very slowly.  I'm thinking that my fall garden is my winter garden and my winter garden is going to be my very early spring garden. 
View of the little seedlings in the winter bed:

  • Cover beds: I did make a cold frame for the broccoli, but I haven't actually covered the beds very often.  Our coldest night was 25oF and that night I completely forgot to go and cover up everything.  All the fall/ winter crops seemed to handle the cold fine, which has limited my motivation to cover the beds. 
  • Harvest and eat fall veggies!  A very easy goal to accomplish!

One of the fall beds with carrots, beets, rutabaga, and turnips.  

Broccoli is finally producing, but in slow motion!

Cabbage that seems to have stopped growing and a few cauliflower:

Another fall bed with radish, carrots, swiss chard and some others:
Lettuce and onion bed with Domino passing by:

I love how green the garden is even though its the beginning of December!  I'm already planning for a bigger fall garden for next year now that I've discovered how much can be grown.
While taking photos I ran into this little guy sunning:
Glad he has made my garden his home.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment