Monday, October 31, 2011

Harvest Monday

This week we greeted our first frost here in South Carolina.  I've still been harvesting strawberries and I'm surprised that they are still producing, but no complaints!


I also harvested some peppers (covered during the cold nights) and some peas:


I have never grown turnips.  How do I know when to harvest??  They don't look as big as I thought they would be, but I don't want them getting woody. 


My main causality in the frost was the basil:


I've got plenty of pesto frozen and plenty of dried basil to get me through the winter months, so the frost wasn't a tragedy.  The basil is now my Halloween decor!

I hope everyone had a Happy Harvest Monday!  To see what others are harvesting check out Harvest Monday at Daphne's Dandelions.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely strawberries & peppers. I don't have any advice about turnips, I've never grown them before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those strawberries look lovely - our season is just starting but mine really aren't very good at all. I think perhaps i need to water them more.

    ReplyDelete