- Clean-up garden: tomatoes look pathetic, but yet can't seem to part with them. October is the month to say a final farewell.
- Harvest peanuts: Peanuts are probably one of my favorite things to grow. I think it's all about anticipation and peanuts sure do make you wait. Takes almost 6 months from seed to harvest and then you have to dry for a couple of weeks!
- Dry herbs: Mint, basil, oregano, thyme, tarragon- should be an easy goal to accomplish.
- Plant garlic: I guess this is getting ahead of myself, because first I need to actually buy some garlic!
- Order bulbs: I want to add bulbs to the front flower bed and have to decide what to plant and how many. Very exciting!
- Add compost: Feeding the garden is always important.
- Plant cover crops: This is my first time planting cover crops, so I can't wait to see how they do during the winter.
- Mulch: I plan to collect leaves for mulching, so this will have to wait until the trees decide to give up their leaves.
- Make cold frame: Another first. I want to try growing some cool weather crops through the winter, so I need to assemble a simple cold frame.
- Finish planting fall garden: I have a few more weeks of planting fall crops. Going to have to remember to water too. The past week has seen no rain and that's not encouraging my seeds to sprout.
- Paint potting shed trim: This is one of those projects that seems to never get done, so Oct is the month!
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Gardening Goals: October
Fall is an exciting and busy time of year. School is in full swing and somehow I always seem to have grading to do, its kind of like weeding: always on your to-do list, you do it, and then it's time to weed again! Before we get too far into October its time to set some goals. I have a love of to-do lists. I like to show completion with a smiley face :) Accomplishments are happy times! So here's my October to-do list: