Sunday, October 30, 2011

First Frost!

Last night brought our first frost to the Piedmont of South Carolina. 

During my morning visit to my garden, I was greeted with ice in the birdbath,


 frozen droplets dotting the pea leaves,


and frosty strawberry leaves.


Our average frost date is Nov 6th, so this was a week early.  I had made a cold frame for my lettuce bed, but didn't actually cover it!  I'm hoping they recover.  The romaine looks fine and spinach can handle it, but the looseleaf lettuce and some of the mesclun blend look a bit sad.  The forecast predicted 33 degrees, but I guess it got down to 28 degrees.  I did cover the pepper bed because I'm not ready to part with them.  I had a late start with my peppers this year, so they were slow to produce and there's still quiet of few ripening peppers.

The rest of the garden is fall crops that should be able to handle the frost although I should probably mulch for some extra insulation.  There's suppose to be another frost tonight and then warm up for the rest of the week.

I think its time to have a steaming cup of tea and curl up under a fleece blanket.  Wish all my garden plants could join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment