Friday, June 24, 2016

Toads in the Garden

Beneficial bugs aren't the only good guys for my garden.  I have had the pleasure of encountering the humble toad quite often.

It may just be me, but I think they are adorable in their own way.  Look at those big, beautiful eyes!


Toads are wonderful helpers in the garden.  According to Mother Earth News, toads can eat 100 insects per night and love to dine on cutworms, which are one of my many arch enemies in the garden.  They need a moist place to live, so it is a good idea to place some saucers in the garden with water and rocks along with some type of cover: a log or broken flower pots will do or you can get fancy and make a toad abode.

Here's my little garden toad all cozy in the dirt, resting after a busy night of defending my garden from all kinds of pests.


Sleep well little guy.  Your hard work is much appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that toads are adorable. Good pictures of your little friend. I live in the middle of the city and seldom see toads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when I see a toad in my garden because I know they are good for gardens! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE toads and frogs - we see them every once in a while in the garden, but I do wish we had more.

    ReplyDelete