Monday, June 13, 2016

Harvest Monday 6/13/16

We are on the road today in Upstate New York heading to Lake Ontario for some camping.  I left my garden behind on Friday, so this is what I harvested before leaving.  The weather up here is nice and cool, but back home it is in the upper 90's with no chance of rain.  I'm nervous leaving my garden's survival in the hands of a battery operated timer that failed last year!   Here's hoping I return to a living garden.


Here's what I harvested this week in the garden: Chinese cabbage and a small head of Golden Acre cabbage.



























They got used to make this Asian coleslaw that was very delicious.



























I also harvested a few more White Castle onions weighing 1.5 lbs:



























With the hot weather, I thought I should go ahead and harvest most of the root crops: carrots, beets and turnips. This is the last of the turnips.  Those yellowmargined leaf beetles definitely reduced turnip production this year.



























I also harvested the last of the peas and completely forgot to weigh them or take a picture. They make great road trip snacks!


Weekly Harvests:


Carrots 1.9 lbs

Turnips 9.9 oz

Chard 1.3 lbs

Cabbage 1.3 lbs

Beets 2.0 lbs

Onions 1.5 lbs

Chinese cabbage 1.2 lbs


Yearly Total: 116.9 lbs


That's all the harvests coming from my garden this week.  To see what others are harvesting, check out Harvest Monday on Our Happy Acres.

5 comments:

  1. Great harvests. Hope your garden survives your absence. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weather sounds like ours, hope you have a cool and fun trip! It's always tough leaving the garden behind, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you won't be too far from us, then! Very nice harvests - I know how it is with peas...they tend to disappear before they hit the kitchen unless I'm vigilant :)

    It's supposed to be really nice weather this week so I hope you have a wonderful time....and your timer does it's job in your absence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely heading in the right direction for vacation. Hope the timer is fail safe this time. Interesting to see a Golden Acre cabbage. I am trying that variety this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cabbages look so amazing. And it looks like you got a great harvest of root vegetables. Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete