Monday, June 6, 2016

Harvest Monday 6/6/2016

Excuse me while I gloat for a moment.  I harvested my biggest onion ever this week at 11.1 ounces!  This may not sound like a feat, but feel free to read about my onion growing difficulties here.


In total I harvested 1.5 lbs of White Castle onions this week.  Ok, gloating over.

Moving on to other harvests this week, if you can move past that giant onion!  Peas were the most abundant veggie from the garden this week at almost 3 lbs.  These were mostly Green Arrow shelling peas.



We love to eat these straight from the pods, but I did shell and cook some to go with pasta and Alfredo sauce.  Fresh peas are so delicious.  I was hoping to have enough peas to freeze this year, but it seems that we may eat them all before I have a chance.


Another big harvest this week was beets at 2.2 lbs:


I boiled some of them and we ate them plain with salt and pepper.  I also used the cooked beets to make a lovely salad with lettuce from the garden along with goat cheese, walnuts and a balsamic honey dressing.  It was so delicious and fancy.  I felt like I was eating at one of those trendy farm to table restaurants, except it was my own back porch and lacked the expensive price tag.


I also roasted some beets along with carrots and turnips from the garden.

Weekly Harvests:
Carrots 2 oz
Turnips 6.1 oz
Lettuce 8.2 oz
Beets 2.2 lbs
Peas 2.9 lbs
Onions 1.5 lbs
Yearly Total: 106.5 lbs, already over 100 lbs!

That's all the harvests coming from my garden this week.  To see what others are harvesting, check out Harvest Monday on Our Happy Acres.


5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the HUGE onion!! As someone who struggles with a few specific veg, I know how gratifying it is when you are finally successful. And that's the problem with fresh peas - there's never enough of them as they do tend to disappear between the garden and kitchen (especially if you have kids around!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed by that big onion! I always have trouble getting mine to size up. And that is a great photo of the shelled peas! I just want to jump in there and pop some of them in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! I have struggled with growing onions myself, so I would also gloat if I ever had an onion that big. And that beet salad looks wonderful - I also don't grow beets very well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cooked beet salad looks so good. And such a big beautiful onion. It definitely looks like your getting some big harvests coming in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have trouble growing onion and am hoping this is the year I am successful, definitely gloating if I succeed.

    ReplyDelete