Monday, April 8, 2013

Harvest Monday 4/8/13

This week was my biggest harvest so far for the year.  I harvested veggies that had overwintered in the garden to make room for spring planting.

First up is 2 lbs of turnips:


Unfortunately I think I left the turnips in the ground too long- they were a bit tough and fibrous.

Much tastier were the carrots:


Fall planted carrots are always so much sweeter than the ones I plant in the spring.

Next up are collared greens.  These are a first for me to plant because I hate collared greens.  Growing up in the South, collared greens make a regular appearance and as a kid I hated them.  I decided I would give them a second chance after seeing a recipe that didn't seem to turn them into the green mush I recalled as a child.


I only planted two collared green plants, just to be safe.  I sauteed it with garlic and olive oil and cooked it in a quiche.  I can say I don't hate collared greens any more, but I wouldn't say I love them.  I think I'll stick with kale and swiss chard.

Lastly this week was a handful of broccoli side shoots:


Yum!

This week's tally:

Turnip 2 lbs
Carrot 9.7 oz
Collar greens 9 oz
Broccoli 0.9 oz

Weekly total: 3 lbs 3.6 oz

That's all the harvests coming from my garden this week, to see what others are harvesting check out Harvest Monday at Daphne's Dandelions.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on collard greens. I didn't grow up with them but ate some out of a friend's CSA. They were OK. Didn't hate them, but I love other greens and I didn't love collards. So I too stick to kale, chard, and spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm with you and Daphne on collards, there are plenty of other greens that I love and collards are just ok so I don't bother growing them. Now those broccoli shoots, those are another story - love those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm sold on not seeking out collard green seeds. Your broccoli looks great, i'm really looking forward to mine starting producing soon.

    ReplyDelete