Friday, June 1, 2012

Project: Chalkboard Plant Labels

I've been needing a way to label my veggies in the garden.  I have been using little plastic labels, but the writing always fades away.  I wanted a label that wouldn't fade, but that was reusable.  Searching online led me to decide on Cakies chalkboard labels.  These are perfect because they are cute, easy, cheap, and reusable! 

I got cedar shims and cut them into thirds.  I was very proud for using the table saw all by myself instead of making J do it for me!


Then I got some chalkboard paint and painted away.  I highly recommend painting them on something plastic.  I first tried newspaper and it stuck to the paint.  Then I tried cardboard and it was no better.  Let them dry for at least 30 minutes before painting the other side. 


The chalkboard paint said to let dry for 72 hours before using.  I only waited 48 hours.. oops!

You may be thinking how in the world is chalk going to stay on a label in the rain?  The trick is to use a white china marker to write on them.  I found one at Hobby Lobby in the drawing supplies section.


When you do want to remove the writing, you can use baby oil and reuse the label.

Now I have labels in my garden:


 




8 comments:

  1. I have been away from the blog-world due to health and an operation and have been missing all these blogs including yours.

    Nice idea of making labels. I tried to use wood and they rot; I tried plastic and the writing fades. I will try your method. But, is the painting necessary? I am too lazy to do such thing.

    How is your garden coming along? Hope it is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! Glad you are feeling better.

      I'm hoping the paint will keep the labels from rotting and since it is chalkboard paint it lets me reuse the labels (assuming they survive long enough to reuse!).

      Delete
  2. Great idea. Those little plastic tags always blow away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are cute. I always use Popsicle sticks and Sharpies. By the end of the season the stick is usually falling apart, but it does the job well enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If these work well, I want to paint Popsicle sticks to use for starting seedlings.

      Delete
  4. Now in 2017 how did these work for you, and did you end up doing seedling ones.

    Kasalia

    ReplyDelete