Beet and Goat Cheese Arugula Salad
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shallots, thinly sliced (I used onion)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 medium beets, cooked and quartered
- 6 cups fresh arugula (I used a mix of lettuces)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 3 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled
Line a baking sheet with foil. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Whisk the vinegar, shallots, and honey in a medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with salt and pepper. Toss the beets in a small bowl with enough dressing to coat. Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the beets are slightly caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Set aside and cool.
Toss the arugula, walnuts, and cranberries in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add beets and sprinkle with the avocado and goat cheese and serve.
No salad rut here! If you want to peak into other kitchens and see what others are cooking, head over to Thursday’s Kitchen Cupboard at the Gardener of Eden.