Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Revisiting April Goals

April was a crazy, busy month!  School was hectic, the garden was demanding attention, and my living room looked like this:


The couches are in the kitchen, the kitchen table is in the garage, and I don't function too well with things out of order.  On top of gardening and working I've been helping with prepping and installing the new wood floors.  I will be excited when it is all done, but not the best timing to remodel during peak gardening time!

Anyway, back to what did and did not get done this month:
  1. Make plant labels - I seem to have run into a road block with this project.  It was suppose to be simple: buy some shims, some chalkboard paint, paint shims, and get a white china marker to write on my lovely new labels.  It appears that this last step is more difficult than I thought.  I can't seem to find a white china marker around here.  I can order them on-line but it seemed ridiculous to pay more in shipping than the markers cost.  This weekend I'll be in Charlotte and I'll stop by some art stores, so hopefully I can finish this project and get my plants labeled.
  2. Plant sweet potatoes - I wanted to do this, but every time I went to the Farmer's Exchange they told me they didn't have sweet potatoes in yet.  They said to come back the second week of May.  It seems late to me, but I guess I should trust farmers since they have much more sweet potato experience than me.
  3. Plant seeds outside: peanuts, beans, corn, beets, carrots, radish, swiss chard, sunflowers, marigolds, nasturiums, yarrow, borage.. I planted everything except the peanuts and I should have them in the ground this week.  However, corn is highlighted because I planted an entire bed of corn, ~60 seeds and every single one of the seedlings was toppled!  I think I just had my first cutworm experience.  Now I've got to make a bunch of cutworm collars and replant!  
  4. Plant herbs: ginger, lemon grass, dill, sage, basil, chamomile.  I need to venture to the farmer's market next weekend and get the rest of the herbs to plant.  I bought some ginger root to try and sprout, but it appears shriveled and pathetic right now. 
  5. Transplant: Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, melons.  I did get all my seedlings transplanted.
  6. Start woodland garden: I did start on the woodland garden-  I planted a border of azaleas and got some Virginia sweetspire to plant a border in another spot. 
  7. Work on front flower bed:  To make the flower bed more appealing in the winter I planted three holly bushes and a third spiral juniper.  I got a crossvine, which is native to here and attracts hummingbirds.  It is still waiting to be planted and needs a trellis for support.  Of course the flowers are stealing the show right now and the new evergreen additions are not very prominent.  

4 comments:

  1. There is always so much to do in the garden in spring. We have almost finished the major chores which will be a relief. Good luck with your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! At least you look organized with your list and have crossed off quite a few things. Springtime is always a little overwhelming with getting everything in the ground. Good luck! Nancy at Cozy Thyme Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always find it better to focus on what I do get done than what i don't. My understanding is that sweet potatoes need a good 4-6 months of warmth to form decent tubers - presuming you'll still get that you should be fine planting in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very busy, very busy! Still, that's an amazing living room. It's all torn up, but still very big, very warm and very inviting. I can't wait to see how you finish it.

    ReplyDelete