Sunday, January 22, 2012

Faith in a Seed

It's already that time of year to start seeds and I thought a little Thoreau could inspire growth.


I got two 48" x 20" heat mats, seed trays with plastic domes, and a light.  I was trying to decide what kind of light bulbs to get and ended up getting one cool bulb and one plant bulb.

For the soil I used Ferry Morse Seed Starter Mix.  I'm sure its cheaper to make my own mix, but I had this on hand.


Filled up the seed trays and planted seeds..


On the seed planting list is broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, onions, parsley, cabbage, and head lettuce.


I also started a spreadsheet to keep track of the seeds I plant and how they do, so I can learn what works and what doesn't.
Now its time to be patient, have faith in a seed, and expect wonders!

5 comments:

  1. Yippee to the beginning of this year's garden! I am one zone behind you. So, I won't be starting anything for a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sowing seeds - so exciting and full of promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sowing seeds - so exciting and full of promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is your zone? I can't wait to start my seeds but I guess it is too early here now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin... Starting seeds always makes spring seem sooo much sooner, enjoy your first seed sowing when it arrives.

    Liz... I too love the hope contained in a seed. It always amazes me how such a tiny little thing can turn into a giant vine, a tall tomato plant, or any other plant that makes veggies for me to eat.

    KL.. I'm in zone 7B, I've never started seeds this early before, but I've always bought seedlings of early spring veggies and used onion sets instead of growing from seed. So this is exciting and new for me!

    ReplyDelete