Sunday, July 10, 2016

Roasted Summer Garden Vegetables

Summer brings an abundance of veggies from the garden.  After all the planning, planting, tending and growing it is time to reap the rewards, but that means I need to do something with all those veggies.  This week brought yellow squash, zucchini, green (and purple) beans, peppers and okra.


I'm not a fan of okra, but yet grew it, so after searching for recipes I decided that I should try roasting it.  I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and then chopped all the veggies and tossed them with olive oil and sprinkled with salt.  I kept all the vegetables separate on the baking sheet since they would take different amounts of time to roast.  In retrospect, I would start with the vegetables that took the longest (zucchini and squash) and then add the okra, followed by green beans and peppers.


To turn my roasted vegetables into a meal, I cooked some brown rice in the rice cooker and then made some basil-walnut pesto and tossed it with chickpeas.


The result was brown rice topped with garden fresh roasted vegetables, pesto chickpeas, a sprinkling of Parmesan and garnished with basil.  I am pleased to report that the okra was not slimy.  I was concerned when I put the gooey blob of okra onto the baking sheet, but after roasting it was crisp and do I dare say delicious? Well, at least I will say that when the okra was mixed with the rest of the roasted vegetables it blended into a delicious dish.

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! That's good to know about the okra - I vaguely remember eating it in a curry type dish at a restaurant a long time ago but don't recall much else about it. The slime descriptions, however, have kept me from wanting to add it to the garden. I think I'll have to reconsider!

    ReplyDelete