Monday, April 24, 2017

Spring Harvests

Garden harvests have picked up this week as spring progresses.  It's wonderful to have more veggie variety.  I dug up the last of the overwintering carrots (5 lbs 10 oz) to make room for more summer crops.  Winter carrots are by far the sweetest and most delicious of the carrots!  I've been eating large quantities of carrot sticks with pumpkin hummus from my autumn harvest.


I've also been harvesting loads of lettuce (9.8 oz).  This was the last of the overwintering All Star mix.  They have begun to bolt and were standing in the way of pepper planting.  My spring lettuce is also ready for harvest, so I've been eating lots of salads.  My latest favorite dressing recipe is this Asian Ginger Dressing one.  I like that it uses rice vinegar, which I find much milder than other vinegars.


I also harvested the rest of the overwintering Swiss chard (2 lbs 6.6 oz).  I've been cooking it with eggs for breakfast and yesterday I made a pumpkin, chard, parmesan and quinoa dish.


I harvested my spring planted Cherry Belle radishes.  They also went into my salads and were eaten with hummus.  I took a vegetable tray to a coworker's retirement party last week and the carrots, radishes and pumpkin hummus made a public debut.  There was another veggie tray, so the party game became taste testing my carrots versus the store bought ones.  Mine won, but it may have been biased, since it was not a double blind study!


The show stopper this week is my first strawberry!  I planted them last year, so this is the first strawberry I've harvested since we've lived here, which has been three and a half years.  Needless to say it was a special strawberry and got its portrait taken before being carefully cut in half and savored.  I went on to harvest 10.5 ounces later on during the week and we devoured them before I could take a picture.


That's all the harvests coming from my garden this week.  To see what others are harvesting, check out Harvest Monday on Our Happy Acres.

17 comments:

  1. That is one lovely strawberry! I bet it was tasty too. I'll have to try the pumpkin hummus, since I still have quite a bit of puree left in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful harvest. I've never had pumpkin hummus, but have used roasted beetroots in hummus.
    Thanks for the recipe link, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pumpkin hummus also grabbed my attention. Thanks for the link. Your harvests really look so healthy and colourful.

    I purchased some carrots from our farmer's market last week and well they keep falling into my mouth :). They actually have taste.

    Lovely looking strawberry too by the way.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely photos of what you have grown, Julie. I haven't had much success with carrots recently for some reason. I mean...how hard is it to grow carrots :-) Too hard for me obviously. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually the hardest part about carrots is getting them to germinate. It can take two weeks for them to sprout, which is plenty of time to forget to water them!

      Delete
  5. Your garden harvest always inspire me Julie. At the moment I am preparing a bed to be my permanent onion bed for growing Spring Onions, Chives and Society garlic. In my keyhole garden bed I have lettuce, spinach and beetroot growing. I want to put some radish seeds in at the front of the key-hole garden too, but keep running out of time. (Could be due to the puppies.) I also want to prepare another garden bed in which I will put tomatoes and dig over another spot to put in my second elderberry tree. And of course I need to spend time working on the compost. We are having beautiful warm but not hot weather here. Everyone agrees that the weather we are having at the moment is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you are very busy building your garden and I'm sure your puppies are also keeping you occupied!

      Delete
  6. Lovely harvest and that is one beautiful strawberry. You have a much longer growing season and your winter is so much milder, I could not overwinter Swiss chard. I too prefer rice vinegar in a salad dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we tend to have mild winters. I do occasionally put row covers over my chard in the winter if it gets below 20 F.

      Delete
  7. Pumpkin hummus - what a great idea! I've bookmarked that recipe as I still have some squash in the basement. I agree on the carrots - although I don't overwinter them, those that I harvest in the late fall are so sweet compared to the ones picked earlier. And congrats on your 1st strawberry!! I will, unfortunately, be strawberry-less this year as our old bed was ripped out last summer and I didn't get around to starting a new one (it's in the works for this spring).

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great that you are harvesting and using so many things already! I can't wait and hopefully I will be able to harvest more in this little courtyard! Happy gardening! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope spring comes soon for you and your garden!

      Delete
  9. Lovely harvests you have, particularly the strawberry! I'm currently searching locally for strawberry runners so I'm hoping I will have a scrumptious of the fruits in a yeaar or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some local strawberries, they are definitely scrumptious!

      Delete
  10. Wow...such an impressive harvest! Your photos are beautiful. Everything looks so colorful and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks so colorful and healthy.


    Royal1688

    ReplyDelete